UPDATE / CORRECTION, FRIDAY, JULY 15, 3.30 PM: Fr. Bakis of the Saint Sophia LA Cathedral sent us a message through an intermediary explaining that he was never asked by the Bousis family to perform the baptism – and if he were asked, he would agree to it as it usually happens in Churches. Our source re-verified that the couple approached someone in the parish (maybe someone else? maybe someone in the parish council?), and this person suggested that this particular baptism would not be a good idea. Bottom line: A widespread consensus is being formed by now on the need (and there is existing practice) for the kids to be baptized. BUT it has to happen humbly and without fanfare; it has to be accompanied by assurances that the kids will be raised according to the faith, and it has NOT to legitimize anything that is not approved by Orthodox tradition.
By Nick Stamatakis
My dear friends, the planning for the demonstration outside the 79th Street headquarters will continue for the coming days and weeks – but it was decided by the informal committee that this coming Tuesday was too close to allow for a proper organization of the event. It was a tentative date, as I explained yesterday… One thing is for sure, many among us have purchased their bullhorns and are ready to move at the next appropriate occasion… In the meantime, several other events and facts take priority:
- A special meeting of the Holy Synod of the Church of Greece will take place this coming Monday, July 18, to discuss the big issues of AB Elpidophoros’ trespassing into the territory of the Metropolitan of Glyfada Antonios. The uproar within the Greek Church is beyond description. The Holy Synod has several options ranging from punishing Elpidophoros to even declaring the baptism invalid.
- Their determination may have greater consequences because on July 21st, a meeting of the Holy Synod at the Phanar will take place, with Elpidophoros present, presumably to discuss issues related to the GOARCH Charter. The Phanar Synod will be well advised to relieve – RIGHT THEN AND THERE – Elpidophoros of his duties.
- Our Synod of GOARCH must take an official position on this issue as soon as physically possible. Helleniscope has learned that the gay couple was not allowed to perform their baptism in Saint Sophia Cathedral in Los Angeles. This means that not only the local priest but also Metropolitan Gerasimos of San Fransisco was against it. He has to say it publicly and call the rest of the Metropolitans to express their opinions.
Helleniscope will be updating all of you regularly on the developments. Yours truly plans several appearances on Greek-American radio programs to explain, analyze and promote our views.
REGARDING THE PROPER ORGANIZATION: 1) It would be very helpful if we had commitments from any of you via email (you can use email@example.com) – if you are a group or a family, please say how many plan to attend in your party. 2) It would also be helpful to have slogan suggestions. Here is what we have so far – your ideas will make it much better:
- MAKE THE CHURCH A CHRIST-CENTERED CHURCH
- ORTHODOXY IS ABOUT CHRIST – NOT ABOUT “IDENTITIES”
- KEEP THE ANCIENT FAITH – NO NOVELTIES – NO “IDENTITIES”
- ELPIDOKTONOS = HOPE-KILLER GO BACK TO TURKEY
- ΔΕΝ ΣΕ ΘΕΛΕΙ Ο ΛΑΟΣ ΠΑΡΕ ΤΟΥΣ ΤΟΥΡΚΟΥΣ ΣΟΥ ΚΑΙ ΜΠΡΟΣ
- RASPUTIN KARLOUTSOS KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF OF THIS CHURCH
- ANAXIOS ARCHBISHOP ELPIDOPHOROS STEP DOWN NOW
- TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY NOW!!
- THIS IS AN AMERICAN CHURCH – NOT A TURKISH BAZAAR!!
- GOARCH: AUTONOMY FROM TURKEY NOW!!
DISCLAIMER: The views and statements expressed in this article constitute constitutionally protected opinions of this author.